Sunday, February 18, 2007

Rigby, Idaho: I Salute You!






On this President’s Day weekend, I think we should take a moment to observe a special day that most of the world doesn't know about. Today, Sunday February 18, 2007, is a very special occasion.

What is it, you ask? Well my friends, today, my ex-boyfriend celebrated his second wedding anniversary, and I took this weekend to contemplate on days of old.

I will give you the quick Reader’s Digest Version before divulging on the thoughts I’ve had this weekend:

Let’s call this boy “Nathan T”. Nathan and I dated my junior year in college. Nathan and I dated for six months. Now that may not seem like a lot, but in Mormon years that translates to like 7 years or something. I don’t know the exact conversion.

Anyway, Nathan and I basically came to a point where it was get married or break-up. Needless to say, we broke-up. He gave the lamest break-up speech ever, and we parted.

Then came the attempt to stay friends, which did not work. While things ended friendly, they soon turned ugly. It was drama laced with two ex-girlfriends and a current girlfriend, times that I now look back on and laugh, but I digress.

To sum things up. Nathan dated girl that hated me. We will call her Jessica, which happens to be the name of his girl before me He was still in love with Jessica #1, and that’s why we broke up. Well Jessica #2 hated me. I was some sort of threat, and she took him out of my life.

Well after a few short months, Nathan and Jessica got engaged and married on February 18, 2005, exactly one year from our first date.

Now as they celebrate their 2nd anniversary, I ponder my own life. Please know, (Jessica and Nathan, if you are out there), I have no hard feelings about anything that went down. While it sucked at the time, I am glad to have gone through that.

Had I married, my life would be completely different. Lets take a look:

I would currently be living in Rigby, Idaho where as of 2000 the population was 3,000 and half of that would be cattle and the other half are all related. I would be married with a man who has yet to finish his college education, (in his defense I haven’t seen him in 2 years, but I doubt he has it now.), and I would have to support him by working at the local Artic Circle, due to lack of jobs in Rigby, Idaho. Then being an Idaho wife, I would clearly have to know like 118 potato recipes. And then on the weekends we could do all those things that I never really liked doing. We could go fishing (yawn), shooting, and off roading, all things I had never done until I met Nathan.

It Rigby’s defense, it is not all bad. It’s the birthplace of television, thank you Philo Taylor Farnsworth. It is also home to the Rigby Riot and Fun Zone where you have a choice of Bumper Boats, Rock Climbing, Miniature Gold, Go-Karts, Inflatable games, and the Buckaroo!!!! (On second thought, maybe I should live in Rigby)

But seriously, my life would be no where near as great as it is today. And yes while I want to get married, I am so glad to have had this extra time to have more life experience and meet people in my life that I never would have had the chance of meeting.

Nathan I haven’t spoken to you in over two years. I hope you are doing well. The last email you ever sent to me was at Christmas time in 2004. It said something to the effect, “I’m sorry things didn’t work about between us. You deserve the best, and I wasn’t the best.”

Well as you celebrate this wedding anniversary, I want to reply and say “yes I am the BEST! and you are right, you were NOT!”

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


PS. Remember those glasses that you called birth control glasses? Well I think they’re cute!

1 comment:

Julie said...

They ARE cute! And so are you. And get me back to a girl house, the way it was meant to be!!!