Friday, November 21, 2008

A Post Where I Talk About the Celebrities I've Seen In The Past Week

As I've mentioned before I'm not ashamed at how star struck I can be, and this week was no exception.

On Wednesday I was taking the boy I nanny to Tai Kwan Do. After I dropped him off, I ran to the store real quick, and then headed back to class. I was on the phone when, I look into the class, and there is Al Roker from the Today Show! He was sitting with his son while watching his daughter in class. I was sitting next to his wife. I learned a lot about him and his family by observation. To keep his life private, I won't air it all on here, but I will say I rode the elevator with him...I was too nervous to talk to him.

The fun doesn't stop there. There were signs posted up within a three block radius of where I live posted this week. It was instructed cars that they couldn't park there on Thursday because of filming. They were filming for the NBC show Lipstick Jungle. I've never watched it, but I've heard of it. So Thursday was a filled with trailer after trailer.

I didn't spend the whole day out there, but when I was out I would canvass the place to figure out what was going down. I found the actors' trailers. They threw me at first because they were labeled with the name of the characters on the show (sneaky) During the day all I could really figure out was where the snack trailers were. I also saw a sign that filming was until 2AM.

So I went out after the kids were in bed. And there I stood at 10PM in the freezing cold (I was too dumb to bring a hat and gloves.)I was able to find where they were filming, and I was set for the duration. I stood by watching. I was close enough that I could've been part of the crew. I was even tempted to grab a chicken finger when they were passing them around. Then all of a sudden it was time and there was Brooke Shields! It was quite exciting. It was even more excited, for me, when there was Andrew McCarthy. (I'm too lazy to make one of those links to Wikipedia to tell you who he is, but he is one of the Original Brat Pack from the 80's. I've always loved him. He's adorable. So there he was. I think he was directing this episode or had something to do with the filming.

I stood with a lady and her dog. She asked them earlier if her dog could be in it. Some crew man told us that for 30 minutes of TV, they film 80 hours and usually work 14-16 hour days. It takes 9 days for one episode. That's crazy, not to mention how darn cold it was out there. I was also asked twice if I was there with the extras.

After a few takes, it was a wrap. As I stood on the outskirts of the circle, Brooke gave us a rousing speech on how fun it's been and how she has good hopes for them and hopes they will all be on for Season 3. Champagne was passed around, and it was a good time. Everyone was clapping and hugging. It was an emotional time, and I was there for it. Everyone hit the bars afterwards.

Here are some things that I learned from this experience:

1. Filming takes a long time. ( I also watched them set up once for a Sprint commercial in Times Square that is being run right now. I ended up getting bored watching.)
2. When an actor is in their trailer, there is a little light that comes on, placed on the outside.
3. Smoking makes you look rough. (Andrew is/was a smoker, I'm not sure of his present smoking status, and he looked rough.
4. All of our world's energy goes to powering all of the actor's trailers, wardrobe, food trailers, etc.
5. I really want a career as the canteen girl on set. I watched the guy at the above mentioned Spring commercial stock the food table, and it was amazing. It was ridiculous how much food there was. And it was like times 10 for Lipstick Jungle. I think it would be a fun job. I love being in charge of refreshments.

And finally, they told me the episode will be on tonight at 10pm. So if you watch, no the part where Brooke Shield's daughter throwing up in the trash is right on 5th Ave, and I was right in front of them!

1 comment:

leslie said...

you are winning the Celebrities Competition between you and Julie. good work!