Thursday, November 1, 2007

Remembering Jorge Arbol and the Rice Days

So today my memory flashed back to two incidents in college. They both were separate from each other, but each brought a smile to my face. It's strange because I haven't thought of these in years, and they both occurred my sophomore year in college, which happens to be my best year.

The first will call the Rice Days.

I remember that we ate a lot of rice that year. We were a pretty close group of roommates, and often ate dinner together. Now the way I learned to cook rice, you always add butter to the rice and water. This is even what it says on the directions. I know you don't HAVE to, but it does say to do it.

Well anytime I made the rice, two of my roommates (they were twins) would always tell me how good it was and wanted to know what I did to it. The twins didn't add butter to their rice, and this was the reason for the difference in taste. It amused me because they had never even heard of adding butter.

It makes me chuckle just thinking about.

The second story occurred in December of my sophomore year. Some of my roommates were on a date and were at our apartment. I went to dinner with another roommate and a friend. Afterwards we decided to by a Christmas tree at the lot right next door to our complex. We decided to doorbell ditch the tree at our apartment. My roommate answered the door, and really thougt someone had left a tree. I don't know if it's one of those things you had to be there for or just know my roommate, but when I remembered it at lunch today, I really had to control myself from busting out in laughter, or my boss and coworker might think me crazy. We loved that tree, and named him Jorge Arbol. It brought joy to the world as well as peace on earth and good will to men...

It really was a good year. I love feeling nostalgic!

No comments: